Praying with Purpose
It is hard to watch the news these days and not hear about the unrest in the Middle East. While the danger is far from us geographically, it is difficult for our hearts to not be moved and a desire to help in some way to arise. However, we often discredit the most powerful resource available and that is prayer. When Brother Andrew and Al Janssen travel through the Muslim world asking Christians in these war-torn areas how they can help, the most common request is "Please pray for us." The book, Secret Believers, gives a great portrait of what life is like for those living under Islam which hopefully stirs our hearts to compassionately pray for our brothers and sisters living in these countries.
This website was designed to not only be a resource of information regarding Muslim Background Believers, but to be a catalyst of prayer for those men and women. Below are some general prayer requests but as you search the site you will find prayer requests for specific countries in our monthly prayer emphasis, as well as on the Countries of Suffering pages. You will also find specific prayer requests for individuals in Maaria's and Butros' Blogs as well as on the pages of Meet the Persecuted.
We have a few suggestions to help you get started praying for this special part of the body of Christ.
- Every time you see a news story from Gaza, Iraq, Pakistan, Iran or any other Muslim country or area, remember there is a Church there, and this news probably affects the Church. Use that news story as a reminder to stop and pray for the Church in that country.
- Pray that Muslims will have an opportunity to hear about Jesus Christ, will receive a portion of Scripture in their language, and will meet someone who can show them the love of Christ.
- Pray for the political situation in the Muslim world. Pray for peace so that the Church may flourish and spread freely.
- Pray especially that Jesus would be increasingly revealed to Muslims, through dreams and visions, as the victorious one who has overcome our sin and our guilt, the bondage to evil spirits and the horrors of death to bring us salvation.
- For those hearing satellite broadcasts, pray that interested listeners can receive Bibles, DVDs and other helpful material despite the watchful eyes of authorities.
- Pray for the family members of seekers who could be opposed to their conversion. They may try to prevent their conversion or threaten their lives if conversion has already taken place. Pray not only for the safety of those who seek Christ, but for their witness to family and friends, that they may demonstrate the love of Christ.
On behalf of our brothers and sisters living in secret, we thank you for your prayers and support.